Day 3, Matanzas - New Smyrna Beach

Matanzas - New Smyrna Beach

Monday February 2, 2015, 65 miles (105 km) - Total so far: 151 miles (243 km)

Wind and weather was the issue today. And, no, the miles did fly by.
But first, the camp site. It was so perfect. Probably around trip it added 15 miles, but worth it. Imagine sleeping soundly in the quiet of nature. There is a 2.5 mile gravel road back to the camp sites Nd can be messy. Camping cost me $10.

There was a brisk wind ALL day from the west. And, by the oceanfront there was no escaping it. This was my third day of cycling without too much training (toughening up the fanny), so I was starting to feel the miles. I had a hard time getting into it.

I stopped around 9 a.m. at Fort Matanzas to eat the other half of my foot-long sub. I think the sandwich filled my tank. One of the rangers boiled me some water so I could have tea in my thermos. As I was leaving they offered me a free ticket for the ferry. Apparently I wasn't at the fort, but at the visitor center. The park service provides a ferry ride over to the island so that visitors can tour the old fort. This is where the Spanish fended off the French.

After that it was on to the road. I seriously was tired. But, then I got a text from my Warmshower host, Deborah that it'd be great if I could get to her house by 4:30. That helped motivate me and I rode pretty much all day with very few breaks, just short spells.

At around Ormond-by-the sea a steady rain began to fall and for 10 miles I rode through rain AND wind.
Not much else to report. Saw a cool bird just hanging out outside some old apartments. The ACA map put me onto some seriously busy roads: S. Nova, 5A, then 1. I was in such a hurry to meet Deborah, I just white-knuckled and pushed.

Tomorrow, an easier day mileage wise.
Stormy ocean. I got rained on, but rode through it and eventually dried.

Views from Deborah's boat deck

Comments