Welcome to a New Year--Memoirous



Greetings 2016!

Welcome to a new year of memories.

Last year about this time I was making memories by riding self-supported by bicycle Jacksonville to Key West. In fact 2015 saw 3 such trips, the 2nd being Minneapolis to Chicago and the 3rd Pittsburgh to Washington DC.  2016 is sure to hold many more cycling opportunities . . . since I got a new bike!

Torker Interurban Mixte From Uptown Bikes, on sale $600

Last year at this blog I posted 135 entries=the most ever since I started it in November of 2010. Consistently I get about 2,000 pageviews per month and a total of 72,483 since inception. Last year also saw the January ePublication of

Writing is a journey. Every time we sit down to begin a piece or write the first chapter or the first line we are venturing into uncharted territory. 365 Affirmations for the Writer is about listening to those who have gone before us and letting them guide us with their insight, their own trials. By reading what others have said, we can survey the path before us, count the cost, and plunge ahead.
I am earnestly looking at the benefits of self-publishing, asking other author friends about their experience. I am at a mid-career point where I’m wondering how many more years I have to wait. Wait for an agent, an editor. I know there have been earth-shaking changes to the publishing industry in the past twenty years. Agents today are busier than ever, but the stakes are so much higher. There seems to be very little time to wait out an author with a slow arc of success. The dividends must come quicker, with almost immediate returns.

I love story. I love writing stories. And I want them to be the best they can be. 2016 will be about trying to find balance in a changing industry—between self-publication and going the traditional route.

Comments