JOGLE Day 12, got to be a tourist today, Lake District



from my trip diary originally posted at Crazy Guy on a Bike

Day 12, got to be a tourist today, Lake District

Friday September 16, 2016, 63 miles (101 km) - Total so far: 632 miles (1,017 km)

I awoke to birdsong this a.m. it really was a beautiful campsite. Sometime in the middle of the night I heard chewing outside the tent. I waved my flashlight around and scared off some sheep. They're allowed to wander.Left before 8 a.m. and made it to Grasmere in 20 miles. I took the cut off before Keswick that took me through St. John in the Vale. It really was pleasant. A couple full-size ups. It was all downhill to Grasmere where I had a terrific breakfast.
Next I went to Dove Cottage where William Wordsworth wrote some of his best-loved verse. You can imagine how people died of the damp. It was noon when I left and felt cold and achey. I soon warmed up, and the day turned sunny. From Windermere it was uphill. Not too bad, except the last bit that I walked.
The rest of the day felt swift and downhill. Maybe the wind was helping. My goal was Lancaster. I left Kendal on A65, got a little lost around Holmes, but continued to Carnforth, A6, then picked up the Lancaster Canal path, which at the end of the day, and with crazy rush hour traffic, was a miracle. Loved it and took lots of pics.
In Burton in Kendal I phoned a warmshowers host, Bob and Jan in Lancaster, and was accepted. Made it to Lancaster by 6 pm. 63 miles--not a lot of getting lost.
Lake District

Lake District

Lake District

In Wordsworth's garden

Lake Windemere

notice the peaks in the background

Along the Lancaster Canal

Along the Lancaster Canal

Along the Lancaster Canal

Along the Lancaster Canal

milepost

Comments