JOGLE Day 3, seaside campsite to Inverness

from my trip diary originally posted at Crazy Guy on a Bike

http://tinyurl.com/h6mf2fu

Day 3, seaside campsite to Inverness

Wednesday September 7, 2016, 74 miles (119 km) - Total so far: 189 miles (304 km)

I'm gonna stop with the hardcore stuff, yet every day I amaze myself with my strength and perseverance.Woke, took down camp, ate the rest of my fish, still a ton of fries. Too many. Nonetheless, carried them with me all day thinking I would eat them. It was drizzle, drizzle all morning on busy A9, just gutted it out. There were up hills, but I geared down and spun up. Reached Tain by 12 noon where I sat and had lunch with 2 other cyclists doing an E2E--without stuff. Now I'm embarrassed by this next bit. We sat and talk for 1 hour then I got up to leave--I was 6 miles down the road before I realized I hadn't paid for my lunch. Little cafe in Tain I am so sorry.
The next 40 miles were okay. No more rain and followed the well-signed cycle route 1. Until Dingwall, Conar Bridge where I got hopelessly lost. When I'm tired I can't think straight. I just wanted to get to Inverness, to the hostel and shower. Never ask strangers for route help. They cannot do it. I finally connected with another cyclist who got me sorted. He said it would be 2 more hours and quite hilly. I told him I didn't want to hear about that.
It was hilly at first and I was going to quit, but, no, kept going. Made it to hostel by 7 pm. 74 miles. Bazpackers is situated nicely RIGHT next to the castle. Unbelievably, because I NEVER eat there, I had a MacDonald's hamburger. No fries.

Inverness Castle

view from my hostel windo

Dunrobin Castle

Comments