JOGLE Goodbye Penzance



from my trip diary originally posted at Crazy Guy on a Bike

Goodbye Penzance

Sunday September 25, 2016

8:30 train pulling out of station, for a 6 hour ride to London Paddington.Wow. Overwhelmed with what I've accomplished--and not just the cycling. The constant negotiating with my fears and anxieties. The battle over stopping or going on. Willpower vs physical strength. Against the odds.
A few things I forgot to mention. Yesterday when pulling into the hostel who do I see but the guy who wouldn't share the last room at the guest house in Liskeard. That's what I said. He looked sheepish, said I was tired. I responded: So was I.
Also about that cream tea. I had no idea what it was. I watch the Bake Off and suspected it was a sweet treat. On this trip there was no way I was going to take in the necessary calories. Sounds great, right? But in actuality it was a pain. At times it wasn't convenient to eat. No stopping points, etc. I always tried to have one hot meal a day. In Scotland it was soup and bread. Once on "mainland" I went for sausage rolls, meat pies. The bap was the worst! Several times I treated myself to egg breakfasts. Also there were a few pub dinners and at least 1 Chinese take away. I also had some Indian fried rice in Lochgilphead.
So when doing calories I tended not to do cakes, sweets. Thus I postponed the cream tea. It was basically a buttered and jam-topped scone with a pot of tea. The experience was like a return to civilization.
4 warmshowers 2 hotel 4 hostel 5 wild camp 4 campgrounds

Comments