My Bike Trip to Nova Scotia, NB, coast of Maine

Day 9, New River Beach to St. Stephens

Friday June 23, 2017, 40 miles (64 km) - Total so far: 428 miles (688 km)

After yesterday on route 1 I wanted to make sure I didn't have a long day in the rain. So opted to leave campground at a fairly leisurely pace. Route 1 was taken in 2 segments, to St. George's then to St. Stephens. I got to St. George's and bought a chicken pot pie right out of the oven. Nice!

The day started sunny but rather quickly faded to cloudy. I kept my orange long sleeve riding shirt on the whole time. Wind was NOT an issue so route 1 went a lot faster. Easier than yesterday going up and down the hills. It began to spit rain after lunch, but continued on route 1 to Oak Bay right outside of St. Stephens. It was 50% rain predicted for today and 80 tomorrow. So after an ice cream at Teepee dairy bar I found a hidey spot. It's still quite early, but don't mind being settled before rain comes. I'd stopped at a campground, but they wanted $31 for a tent site. This way I'm only 2.5 from a Tim Hortons and 3 from the border.

Also saw my first cycle tourists, going the opposite direction. We stopped and chatted and they have a blog on CGOAB, Too Far.

Day 10, St. Stephens to Dennysville, ME

Saturday June 24, 2017, 39 miles (63 km) - Total so far: 466 miles (751 km)

Today was about firsts. First time riding bike over a border. First time riding past 45th Parallel, and first time milking goats.

So glad I broke ride into 2 days. 80 might have been pushing it. Got here at st. Brendans Retreat Center at 11 a.m. I realised when crossing border that I went from Atlantic to Eastern time zone. Took route 1 coastal road. Very good shoulder. A delight, but some long hills. In fact there has been lots of hills this trip, yet none have felt defeating.

I'm glad to be here with my hosts Sue and Alan for a few days.


half way to north pole


border

hello goat

Tom Turkey

Comments