My Bike Trip to Nova Scotia, NB, coast of Maine

Day 13, Mainayr to Acadia Nat. Park,

Tuesday June 27, 2017, 46 miles (74 km) - Total so far: 576 miles (926 km)

So perfect. Really a great day all around. Now sitting in tent waiting for a thunderstorm.It took me about 39 miles to get here and it wasn't too bad. Some roadworks on 1 made things a little hairy. I took the turn-off for 3, and continued to the entrance info center. There I used a special phone to call around to the campgrounds. Everything inside the park was full, but I was able to secure a tent site at Bar Harbor campground for 2 nights for $68. I know, it aS much as a hostel. Overall though it is a good value. Everything is convenient, the shuttle bus, the showers, and washrooms. There's even an ocean view.

After getting settled in I took the shuttle with my bike and got on carriage trails at Hull Visitor Center. I had absolutely no idea what this would be. Let me tell you it is a dream come true. Like riding in Paradise. Tomorrow I plan to get up early catch shuttle complete a circuit and then hike Cadillac Mt.

Feeling satisfied.
Fun Day in the Park

Wednesday June 28, 2017, 17 miles (27 km) - Total so far: 592 miles (954 km)

And when I say fun, I mean it.

One thing before I begin about today. Yesterday at a gas station diner I got the special. Chop suey with garlic toast. Yes an odd combo but what came on the plate was even weirder. It was macaroni hamburger goulash. Nothing as close to exotic as chop suey.

And also about yesterday, I realize I didn't say why it was paradise on the carriage paths. These are not merely cycle paths or mult-recreational paths. These are lanes through pristine forest, by still waters, up mountains with views. It is like backpacking but without having to carry all that stuff and work all day to go 5 miles. I did 17 more miles today on paths and it was terrific. I just love it here.

After cycling I caught an island shuttle to the trailhead for Cadillac Mt. It took me under 2 hours to get to the top and it was steep. Some boulder scrambling and walking on sheets of granite. Pics will come. I caught a ride down from a couple, caught another shuttle, and headed to Bar Harbor village green for a chicken wrap. These sandwiches are so big they last me a meal plus a snack.
Then I locked the bike and caught the Sand Beach bus, got off at Thunderhole and hiked the sea trail to Otter Cliff where I caught another bus. Which was good because at that minute it began to pour. Rain.

Anyway, retrieved my bike and caught yet another shuttle back to Bar Harbor campground. I'm tired, but --wait. A man with a truck painted pink is going through the campground ringing a cow bell selling handmade pies and cakes. I bought a red velvet whoopie pie from him. So excellent. Ate it with the last bit of hot tea I made this a.m.--a thousand years ago now it seems. Off now for a HOT 25 cent shower.
carriage trail
climbing Cadillac Mountain

view from Cadillac Mountain

view from Cadillac Mountain

storm brewing

Eagle Lake

Eagle Lake



pond view

Witch hole Pond

view from Cadillac Mountain

Comments

Blogger said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.